EULAR Public Affairs: EU Parliament Interest Group on Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Diseases
The European Parliament Interest Group on Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Diseases (RMDs) was created in 2009 on the occasion of World Arthritis Day (12 October) and was re-established during the current parliamentary term (2014-2019).
The Interest Group (IG) is currently comprised of 22 Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) from different political groups, nationalities and committees.
The Interest Group is led by:
- Roberta Metsola (Malta, European People’s Party) – Chair
- Dr Soledad Cabezón Ruiz (Spain, Socialists & Democrats Group) – Vice-Chair
- Hadjigeorgiou (Cyprus, European United Left - Nordic Green Left) – Vice-Chair
- Nathalie Griesbeck (France, Alliance for Liberals and Democrats for Europe) – Vice-Chair
MEPs who have joined the IG are interested in promoting EU policy initiatives aiming to better prevent and treat RMDs, as well as ensuring the social and economic inclusion of people with disabling or impairing RMDs. The aim of the IG is to promote parliamentary actions on RMD-related policy issues, as well as to facilitate the discussion with other EU policy makers, stakeholders and experts on ongoing and future policy developments.
On average, the IG meets three times per year.
Since 2009, EULAR runs the secretariat of the IG, providing support for its leadership and all members.
Each IG meeting focuses on a specific policy-related aspect of RMDs, covering the main EU policy areas impacting on these diseases: research, public health and employment & social affairs.
Topics are selected according to their potential contribution to policy developments at the time of each meeting.
Themes so far covered by the IG are listed below:
- Policy issues and challenges in the treatment and care of rare diseases
- Towards better prevention of musculoskeletal diseases in the workplace
- New data protection legislation: Consequences for health research. What EU public health policies for 2014-2019?
- New disability law: Does it help people with chronic diseases?
- The EU post-2014 budget and the future of health research: Redefining priorities, improving effectiveness
- RMDs and pain: Facts and finding
- Towards an EU strategy on chronic diseases: A follow-up of the Council Conclusions on chronic diseases
- Social and economic costs of RMDs
- RMDs and active and healthy ageing
- Research trends in health. The role of RMDs in current and future research framework programmes
- Health inequalities in the development, prevention and treatment of rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases across Europe
- European Parliament Input to the Belgian Presidency focus on rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases
- Rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases at work
- Research and innovation: Contributions to the next EU research framework programme
For more information, see the following documents:
- Reports of the individual IG meetings
- Final report of the Interest Group 2009-2014
- List of Members of the Interest Group 2009-2014, and 2014-2019
What are RMDs?
Read the EULAR Q&A on Rheumatic & Musculoskeletal diseases (RMDs) to find out what problems they pose to individuals and society. Click here.
Report of the European Parliament
Interest Group 2009 - 2014
Download as pdf
Interest Group meetings
Meeting 26 February 2018 Advancing disability polices after the EU Accessibility Act
Meeting 11 October 2017 Improving access to medicines for European citizens
Meeting 5 December 2016 Policy issues and challenges in the treatment and care of rare diseases
Meeting 14 June 2016 Towards better prevention of musculoskeletal diseases in the workplace
Meeting 18 March 2014
Meeting 16 October 2013
Meeting 18 June 2013
Meeting 20 March 2013
Meeting 26 June 2012
Meeting 20 March 2012
Meeting WAD 2011